Are there costs or fees for having or using my Debit or Community Card? If you use an ATM owned by First National Bank or any other Advantage ATM, you will not be charged a fee. However, you may incur a fee for using an ATM outside of the Advantage network.
First National Bank customers have access to more than 55,000 ATMs nationwide and in Canada, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, Australia, and Mexico through the Allpoint network.
Can I change my Personal Identification Number (PIN)? You can change your PIN two ways and select your own number. Either change is effective immediately.
- Option 1: Call 877-219-4344 (toll-free) and follow the instructions to change a PIN.
- Option 2: Change your PIN at any Advantage ATM by following the step-by-step instructions prompted by the terminal.
Can I use my card as soon as I receive it? All Debit and Community Cards are inactive when issued. To activate, either call the toll-free number provided with your card (877-219-4344), or go to an Advantage ATM to complete a transaction requiring you to enter your PIN. You can also activate your card by completing a PIN (debit) purchase at a merchant. ATM cards are PIN protected and do not require activation before use. For new consumer cards, your PIN will be mailed 2 business days after the card is produced. For reissued consumer cards, use your current PIN. A PIN may not be produced for some business cards. Check with your employer for activation instructions.
How do I know what payment method to use (credit or debit)? Use the payment method you feel comfortable with! Most merchants accept both payment options; however, some merchants only accept signature-based transactions (credit), while other merchants only accept PIN-based transactions (debit). Because your Advantage Debit Card has both signature and PIN features, you can use your card at even more locations!
If a merchant accepts both payment options, just swipe or insert your card, and select either credit or debit. Even if the terminal defaults to one kind of payment, you have the right to choose the payment method you prefer. Some merchants don’t require a signature or PIN for purchases of $50 or less. Also, some merchants may charge a small fee for cash back.
How do I use my card?
To conduct a signature-based transaction:
- The merchant must accept Visa debit cards.
- Swipe or insert your card at the merchant terminal.
- Select the “Credit” option.
- The merchant may have you sign for the transaction.
- Your checking account will usually be charged within 1-3 business days.
To conduct a PIN-based debit transaction:
- Swipe or insert your card at the merchant terminal.
- Select the “Debit” option.
- Enter your PIN to authorize the payment.
- If desired, select cash back (only available with PIN-based transactions).
- The payment is authorized and your checking account will be charged within 1 business day.
Is there a maximum daily withdrawal limit? Yes. Your card has 4 standard daily limits set by the Bank.
- $520 is the amount you can withdraw from an ATM in a 24-hour period.
- $2,500 is the maximum you can spend on signature purchases in a 24-hour period.
- $2,500 is the maximum you can spend on PIN-based purchases in a 24-hour period (which includes the cash back amount).
- $520 is the maximum you can withdraw via cash advance from a teller in a 24-hour period.
You may contact a Personal Banker at any location to have the withdrawal limits adjusted to fit your personal needs.
What precautions should I take to prevent fraud or theft? Memorize your PIN. Do not write it down, especially on your card, and do not tell anyone your PIN. When making a purchase, keep your card in sight at all times. Do not let anyone else enter your PIN for an ATM transaction.
What should I do if my card is lost or stolen? Report your lost or stolen card to the bank immediately. Call (605) 335-5200 during business hours; on nights and weekends, call 800-236-2442. Our international number is (414) 291-8411. Please dial the Exit Code of the country you are visiting first. You may be liable for the following losses:
- ATM and PIN-based purchases: $50 maximum if you notify the Bank within 2 business days of learning of the loss of your card.
- $500 liability if you fail to notify the Bank within 2 business days of learning of the loss of your card.
- Visa Signature Purchases: Visa regulations protect you from any liability due to fraudulent use of a Visa checkcard for purchases processed through Visa.
Which stores accept my card? Any merchant accepting Visa debit or NYCE PIN debit cards will accept your Debit or Community Card.
Whom do I call if there are unauthorized transactions on my statement? Contact our Customer Service team immediately at (605) 335-5200. They will be able to determine how to handle the situation.
Why do the purchase amounts sometimes vary when I look at my account utilizing Online Banking?
Initially, several merchants authorize $1.00-$100.00 against your account. Once the actual purchase amount is transmitted, the initial charge will drop off your account – usually within a few days.
Why would I get a call regarding my transactions? We participate in a monitoring service to assist with preventing or minimizing fraudulent transactions on our Debit and Community Cards. Fraud analysts monitor all of our card transactions. If fraud is suspected, an analyst will contact you to verify the transaction. If the caller identifies himself as a representative calling on behalf of First National Bank and asks you to verify a specific transaction, the call is legitimate, and it is safe to discuss that transaction with the representative.